Atlantic Avenue in Virginia Beach
Be a Local on Atlantic Avenue
Coastal Virginia Magazine's Favorite Finds on Atlantic Avenue
Whether you're with family, a significant other or flying solo, Virginia Beach's Atlantic Avenue area has it all. From local hotspots to hidden gems, the following recommendations will make your experience a memorable one. Use these ideas to get started, then see what else you can discover—there's much to explore.
There is so much to see in and around Atlantic Avenue, and most attractions are available year-round.
- Honor Virginia Beach's coastal history at the newly renovated Virginia Beach Surf & Rescue Museum.
- Many of the side streets and areas leading to the beach offer photo opportunities with nautical, military, police and other monuments and sculptures.
- The Virginia Legends Walk at 13th Street Park includes Virginia history legends, from Thomas Jefferson and Captain John Smith to Ella Fitzgerald and Patsy Cline.
- Visit the oldest structure at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, the Atlantic Wildfowl Heritage Museum.
For those looking to people watch or to take in stunning scenery, Atlantic Avenue has lots of memorable options.
- Enjoy Atlantic Avenue views from the outdoor bar at Dough Boy's pizza.
- Just off Atlantic Avenue, Rockafeller's Restaurant boasts scenic views of Rudee Inlet.
- Take in boardwalk views from Ocean 27's second level deck or from their gliding tables.
Activities are available for all ages and ambition levels. Below are several options to get your juices flowing.
- During summer, Live! On Atlantic transforms the sidewalks to stages as musicians, dancers and more perform. These nightly performances span from 17th to 25th Streets.
- Visit the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier for a panoramic experience, and round out the day by playing games at Beach Arcade at the Pier Shops at 15th Street.
- Take part in a game of shuffleboard with a cocktail at Beachside Social.
- Navigate through wild obstacles and game rooms at Jungle Golf.
- Pose for an antique-style photo at Memory Lane Old Time Photos.
- Mini golf, ice skate or play arcade games indoors at Top Gun Miniature Golf & Arcade.
- Rent cruisers or beach bikes from Cherie's Bike Rentals and ride the Virginia Beach Boardwalk's bike path.
Whether you're looking to purchase some new attire, souvenirs or items to enhance your visit, this area is brimming with options.
- Resort apparel, jewelry and accessories can all be found at Beach Bodies.
- Beach essentials, souvenirs, summer clothing and more await you at Sunsations locations.
- Find your favorite college or pro sport merchandise at Sports Alley.
Area restaurants proudly serve the region's freshest food, from land to sea. Overall, the restaurants along Atlantic Avenue are award winning and offer a bit of uniqueness that visitors won't find elsewhere.
- Order a dish made from Virginia's first wood-burning oven at Il Giardino Ristorante.
- Savor made-from-scratch Mexican cuisine at Cancun Fiesta.
- Live music and excellent seafood, steaks and pasta await at Abbey Road Pub & Restaurant.
- Located in a former post office, Smartmouth Brewery's newest Pilot House location is pouring small-batch, award-winning beer.
- Have locally sourced sandwiches, wraps and more at Harvest Rooftop | Restaurant.
- Indulge in a seafood buffet at Nautilus Restaurant.
- Enjoy an inspired sea-to-table menu, along with an incomparable raw bar, at Catch 31.
- Crack crab legs and other delicious seafood at King of the Sea.
Morning, noon or night, there's nothing like satisfying your sweet tooth.
- Get a scoop of I Scream Ice Cream, Virginia Beach's only full-service ice cream parlor.
- Have a famous Dairy Queen Blizzard while taking in the breeze of the Atlantic Ocean.
A special thanks to the Atlantic Avenue Association for their recent efforts. As part of their mission, they have been instrumental in assisting, creating and promoting a positive experience for Virginia Beach residents, visitors and businesses along the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, and specifically Atlantic Avenue. To learn more about the Atlantic Avenue Association, visit AtlanticAveVB.com.