Tips for Local Farmers Markets
Heading to a farmers market in Virginia Beach or nearby city? Follow these useful tips.
- Call the farmers market ahead of time to ensure it is open and to check on the field conditions
- Make sure you know the type of payment that is accepted
- Advertised hours may change due to seasons, heavy picking and the weather. Check their Facebook page for updated information.
- Visit during the week or early on the weekends for the best experience
- Wear sunscreen, a hat and bring bottled water to stay hydrated
- Never smoke on the premises
- Wash all produce prior to eating
- Do not bring pets to the markets for safety reasons
- Soon after picking, refrigerate your produce
- Respect the land and plants
- Only pick what you will pay for